Monday 2 July 2012

A very expensive day

I started off today walking an hour in the rain to the Dentist to save the £1.90 bus fare.
I usually keep my phones in my hand/pockets but didn't want to risk them getting rained on. Oh how ironic that is because half way I go to get my phone out to check the time and route (I haven't been in two years... oops!) and my water bottle has cracked and flooded my bag. My old phone is flashing and vibrating madly and my new phone has been taken over by a poltergeist photographer. I poured the water out of my bag, dismantled my phones and trudged on. I was soaking wet, freezing cold and also sweaty by the time I got to the dentist. My dentist has changed and this one is much better, he finally told me why my teeth are so mottled. Fluorosis! I have suspected this for years but my old dentist didn't care, the new one reckons I ate toothpaste as a child (I know I didn't, I reckon it's more to do with drinking 10 litres of fluoridated water a day before moving). I'm going back in two weeks for fissure sealing and as that comes under the £48 price bracket he's also going to cover all the dark dots with white filling. Brilliant! Ish. Fortunately I have a box of crest white strips already to use after that to lighten the rest of my teeth. I'm not all that vain when it comes to teeth but it really bugs me that I look after them really well yet they look naff because of the mottled discolouration.
-£48
But I did walk home without going to the charity shops.
So now I have my old phone in pieces in rice and my new phone has been dismantled and is in our very cool airing cupboard. The old phone is doomed, guess it couldn't handle another bag flood or dip in the toilet/puddle/bath/glass of rum. My new phone is semi-working but it looks like I'll have to claim on the insurance which has a £25 excess.
-£25

Today has been expensive and frustrating.
-£73
Oh and I was just about to buy some shirts and £10 dresses for work in the River island sale when the site went to holding page! Apparently the site will be up again after 2am so I'm trying to stay awake despite wanting to go to sleep desperately. I really didn't want to spend much on clothes for work but I couldn't find any cheap shirts that fitted in the usual places, no small sizes in local charity shops and my smart clothes from when I worked at a jewellers are far too small. I'd have to lose a stone or two to fit in them and I don't think I'll ever be that thin again. I honestly think my bones grew when I put on weight, they seemed to catch up and my hips, knees and ribs actually grew!

No comments:

Post a Comment