Saturday 7 July 2012

Food For Free

A few people on the MSE forums reccommend Food For Free by Richard Mabey and I really liked the sound of it. Plants, trees and fungi, the perfect book to carry on my walks for impromptu foraging. I went to have a flick through the newest edition today before ordering it online and I was so disappointed. It was more like a coffee table book with a beautiful, but not very helpful, photograph of each plant with a vague description and suggestion of some recipe.
To put it bluntly, I'm a dumbass. I need something which helps me identify a plant not only up close, but also from a distance and with lots of detail, maybe even point out the differences between it and some not so good relative. The book was really thick and heavy too. It's a hardback so duh but I was really hoping for something I could take out with me.
I have an amazing fungi book, I must see if they do one of edible plants too.

My first attempt at elderflower champagne is in plastic milk and water bottles in the bath. Does the job but doesn't look great. I've already tasted it and it's lovely so I'm going to make some more tomorrow. I'd like to use some of it for presents but what can I put it in that looks half decent? I'm not going anywhere near glass bottles!

No comments:

Post a Comment